The dreaded international flight. How to do right by your skin while 30,000 feet in the air for 10 hours? Just read on!
As important as it is to stay hydrated on a regular basis by drinking water it is doubly as important when you are getting ready to and while flying. Try to double up on your water in-take in the days leading up to your flight. If you aren’t regularly taking a fish oil then add it into your daily regime. The fatty acids in fish oil are proven to both help the brain and cardiovascular function and help skin cells retain moisture. It’s a good idea to also throw some in your carry-on for in-flight or during your time away. It’s a powerful punch for something that doesn’t take up valuable shopping space in luggage.
IN FLIGHT OPERATION
Even if you pick a couple of these tips it will do wonders for your arrival.
1. Drink lots of water even if it means getting up multiple times to the frustration to the aisle passenger.
2. Drink hot water with lemon, refreshing, hydrating, and lemon is key to metabolic boosting!
3. Use a Hydrating mist every few hours to keep your skin feeling refreshed and stop it from getting tight. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs & Rosewater
4. During the flight, in addition to spritzing your mist, try to re-apply your moisturizer. The constant air conditioning can suck the life out of your skin, so even if your skin is usually oily, you’ll notice it absorbing moisturizers much faster.
5. Apply lip balm. The same applies for the lips in that the cabin air will suck the nourishment up so try Smith’s Rosebud Salve, $6.00 or Caudalie Lip Conditioner, $12.00 both available at Sephora.
6. Sanitize – A breeding ground for germs it’s important to make sure you land healthy on the other end. The worst would be to find yourself on an amazing vacation and coming down with a cold 2 days later. Sanitize your hands with L’Occitane Lavender Clean Hand Gel from the Provence to Go Collection, $7.00.
FAVORITE TRAVEL KITS
Trilogy Travellers takes the hassle out of packing and has everything you need to land with a glow. Plus I love the packaging! $37.00
Dermalogica Skin Kits have all the benefits of a full regimen… to go. Featuring convenient travel sizes in a durable travel pouch, your Skin Kit allows you to hit the road safe in the knowledge that you’re packing a full regimen of products. 35.00.
To read up on other travel kit options check out this article at Marie Claire.
Before you land give yourself a quick face wash with either a rinse free cleanser or a cleanser wipe. Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes $4.99 are some of my favorite nourishing wipes! They are non-comedogenic, use no alcohol, and have the added benefits of PRO-VITAMIN B5 which are known to help restore, soften and smooth skin.
Then make sure to re-apply your moisturizer and touch up your make-up with the bare minimum. To mask the jet lag try a concealer, YSL Touche Eclat Radiant Touch, $40, to cover up dark circles and redness. Then add a couple coats of mascara, such as Covergirl LashBlast Length Mascara, $6.94, to open up your eyes. And lastly, a lip or cheek stain in a soft pink or peach shade to hide any redness from the flight. If you go with a creme it also has the added benefit of creating a dewy look with appears more youthful and energized. It’s better to look clean and effortless while traveling.
Bon Voyage ladies… arrive in style!