Who wants to spend $60 on a lip balm? Certainly, not I. So how did it happen? Well, it all began when I was leaving my beloved Barneys Love Yourself Beauty Event and I passed the By Terry counter. I was almost out the door when I thought to myself, I keep reading and hearing endlessly about this balm, let me just try a swipe so I can stop wondering. And that was the beginning of the end.
The BY TERRY Baume De Rose is much to my dismay, GLORIOUS! One application lasts for hours on end, eliminating the need to reapply endlessly. Lips are truly hydrated, not just coated. And the SPF 15 filled pale pink sheen pluses your natural lip color. It’s plumping, creating the illusion of fuller lips, and it makes a great base for keeping lipstick in place. Suprisingly, it also doubles as a cuticle cream. But let’s face it! There’s no way I’m going to waste it on my hands unless I scooped too much on my lips.
The only thing I’m not a fan of is dipping my finger in to apply it. There is a lip gloss version of it but it does contain less product. Beside, I wouldn’t want to give up pulling out this gorgeous jar to apply it. The whole experience of using this somehow feels sensorially fulfilling. The heaviness of the jar, the heavenly rose scent, the substantial consistency, and the resulting baby soft lips. Now if your not a fan of roses, you might be a little less impressed but otherwise, this lip balm is sadly a delightfully luxurious experience. No wonder, it’s a cult classic!
From the By Terry site:
– A lipo-regenerating complex made up of Rose Flower Essential Wax with softening and astringent properties, Pastel Oil to boost cell renewal, and Shea Butter with healing and soothing benefits, supplies strength, nutrition and comfort.- The Hydroskin complex, a combination of filling spheres and active ingredients of lipid origin, provides optimal hydration.- Biotechnological ceramides deliver youthfulness and density thanks to their restructuring and firming action and their smoothing effect.
– Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, and Sun Protection Factor 15 protect the lips against the harmful effects of light and help to fight against aging.
I know I’ve already reviewed L’Oreal’s Infallible Le Gloss, but this stuff is so good that I had to snatch up more colors. Which lead me to discovering my new favorite long wearing red lip color. Just in time for the Holidays.
Red Fatale is a true red, neutral and opaque, that works with every skintone. In fact, it’s a Gwen Stefani red and she knows her reds. Now, I must confess. I tend to get lazy about wearing bright colors because I hate having to touch them up all day. But this gloss is not only super long-wearing, resisting fading and feathering, it’s also hydrating. But my favorite quality is that L’Oreal has nailed the perfect tone, the perfect hue. It actually makes your skin look brighter, more rested, more radiant. This gloss is truly glow worthy.
But don’t despair if this red seems overwhelming. Try Cherry Flash (340) for a softer less opaque shade of red. I just couldn’t resist. I had to have both!
Tip: Line your pucker first to get a more defined shape. And don’t rub your lips together when applying. It’ll prevent pushing the color to the edges. Just coat the lips with a layer or two and that’s it. You are good to go for hours!
We all have a family member or friend who simply has everything and every year with the Holidays upon it is a struggle to find that perfect gift.
Well, you need look no further as this Luxe Holiday Beauty Gift Guide has something for even the most discerning of us ladies.
Kilian In the City of Sin/1.7 oz. 1.7oz $245.00 For the truly LUXE lady a new fragrance by the renowned Kilian Hennessey. In the City of Sin is a place of extreme temptation where every street corner offers the possibility of impromptu encounters and seductions. The fragrance opens with an explosion of Bergamote from Calabria, pink Peppercorns and Cardamom from Guatamala. It then evolves into a heart of Apricots and caramelized Plums held in check by the Turkish Rose Absolute. A light haze of Indonesian Incense entrances and then lends a profound depth, further sustained by Atlas and Virginia Cedar woods and rich Indonesian Patchouli. Needless to say a beautifully complex fragrance that comes in a stunning white enamel clutch wrapped with a golden snake. Fully seductive and fully luxurious!
Rodin Face Oil $150 & Luxury Body Oil $110 Olio Lusso was created by Linda Rodin, stylist and former fashion editor for Harper’s Bazaar, to satisfy what she felt was missing in the anti-aging skin care market. Her line now has a cult-like following among fashion and beauty insiders and justifiably so! It is a miracle oil for women of all ages who seek beautiful, dewy skin that conveys an extraordinary sense of well-being. Made with an exclusive, aromatic blend of 11 essential oils to soothe and soften the skin. As an step up in gifting you can pair up the face and body oil for a complete package. Although, either of these items will light up the recipient on the insider and out! Oil is an essential part of a healthy beauty regime.
Make it up and make it personal with a hand picked selection of products for your lucky recipient. Mix and match a great set of eyes, lips, cheeks, and nails to give a customized set that is is both personal and her favorite gift.
I may be, well must be, somewhat biased but tenoverten’s WORTH $18.00 is one of my favorite nail polish colors of the season from the famous NYC salons tenoverten. The polish is both 5 FREE + CRUELTY FREE and lasts by using the best raw ingredients all compliant with the leaping bunny effort to encourage suppliers to also provide cruelty free ingredients. Not just in the finished product. Worth is currently featured in this month’s Marie Claire and is a truly gorgeous gold. Not too yellow and not glittery, an on-trend must-have metallic. Come December tenoverten is also offering a discounted polish set for the Holidays for the true nail buff in your life… or if you’re recipient is in NYC go the extra mile and pick up a gift certificate for a little pampering.
Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar in Stalker $16.00 NY Based cult brand Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetic is not only 100% Vegan and Cruelty Free but this amazing product is a hybrid between a lip gloss and lipstick. Meaning it goes on like a gloss but then dries matte like a lipstick. A few other pros are that it lasts for hours (date night may be an exception), is highly pigmented, and comes in a range from subtle to super bright fun. Even colors like neon pink, blue, and orange. I’m not quite ready to be that experimental but a classic Hollywood red like Stalker or the new color Electric Grandma are safe bets to gift anytime of the year. And remember a little bit goes a long way so only use a tiny dab to start with.
Or for luscious lips try this UBER-LUXE lip set from iconic Gucci designer Tom Ford. Hint: if anyone is looking for a gift idea for me then this is the one. Tom Ford Beauty 4 Piece Lip Color Boxed Gift Set $192.00 Colors include:Lip colors include Spanish Pink, Crimson Noir, Nude Vanille, & Wild Ginger giving a range from nude to show stopper.
Happy shopping and always remind yourself it’s the thought that counts not the dollar value. So, pick up a great gloss for a friend and she’ll smile right back at you while wearing it. xo
1. Don’t be afraid to try something new. If you’re not one for makeup, this holiday season add a touch of gold or bronze to your bottom lash line for an easy, fun holiday look.
2. Don’t worry about that summer sweat anymore! Find a foundation that is right for you…and the season. During the winter don’t be afraid to put away the tinted moisturizer and try a more full coverage foundation for a flawless long lasting winter look.
3. Do keep a nude gloss and an Elf Eye liner pen in your purse for a quick day to night change.
4. Don’t hesitate to go for a bold lip! If you use a liner and matte lipstick combo your touch ups are going to be minimal! Gloss alone works great, but it makes touching up more frequent. (Favorite tip, after eating completely take off lipstick and reapply. It will last longer than trying to touch up what’s left!)
5. Do give your skin a gorgeous glow. Just because it’s the winter doesn’t mean you can’t look sun kissed! A touch of MAC’s Give Me Sun right below your cheekbones, as a contour gives the perfect finish.
6. It’s winter; DON’T worry about washing your hair every day. That’s why dry shampoo was invented. Suave Dry Shampoo is $3.49. Pick up a bottle and make Saturday night drinks with the girl’s hair last into Sunday’s brunch with the boyfriends parents!
7. Don’t forget to add a touch of color on your cheeks when going for a bold lip. You don’t want the lip to wash you out. Try a mauve for evening and baby pink for day time and it will really make your face pop!
8. And last, but certainly not least, don’t forget to moisturize!! From your skin to your lips, try Maybelline’s Baby Lips chapstick for the lips; and L’Occitane 25% Shea butter face cream for night and day. (If your skin is on the oilier side, try Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer.)
Elle Favorule is a Makeup Artist based in Los Angeles. Her celebrity clientele include Shannon Elizabeth, Kathy Baker, Jessica Lowndes, and Briana Evigan. Elle has traveled all over Europe doing makeup demonstrations and currently works on Film & Television.